Monday, December 6, 2010

Gut Rested (For Now!)

After many tears...a phone call to Wendy...and a drive to Walmart....I was finally able to put my Mommy gut to rest a little. I purchased the Bayer A1c Now kit. With a fingerstick, you get an A1c result in 5 minutes. I'm betting these kits are pretty accurate and if they aren't then DON'T TELL ME cuz I'm relying on this result right now to keep my insanity.

With tear filled eyes...I read the instructions carefully.

With a loud "shunk" of the lancet that came with the kit....I filled the little tube.

I then inserted the tube into the capsule and shook it for 5 seconds.

I then opened the little prep device and stuck it into the meter.

With the press of a button...the push of the little capsule...and the word RUN...it was counting down... 4:59 to 0:00

Kayleigh's result....

YESSSSSSS....BREATHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! ~wiping tears~
Recheck to make sure I saw the right number through my tears. Kayleigh, Kacey, Kay's best friend and myself rejoiced with the number we saw. Once again, I'm assuming this is accurate and for $27 it's enough to give me a little peace for the holidays. Ohhh and BTW, that $27 is TWO tests! So we have an extra one on hand to do right before the Endo in January and then I can really tell you all how accurate the home test is. I'm still pissed off at the doctor for refusing the test but we'll see how things go on January 7th. We have an appointment with the Endo that day and we'll finally have some more answers (hopefully!). Thanks Wendy for being an ear for me to vent to! Love ya!!

Also...I wanted to share this....
I know someone shared it before but it's worth sharing again. GLUCOSE TAB KEYCHAINS!!! They hold 4 glucose tabs perfectly and they were only $1.24 at Walmart! Definately worth having glucose tabs within reach at all times! :) And this goes along great with Lora's giveway! Check out her BLOG for the exciting Reli-on Giveway. So now, I have one on my keys and both girls have them hooked to their purses. Perfect!
Thank you all for reading my insane ramblings. Please continue to bear with me as I try to keep my thoughts in check! Luv yas!

9 comments:

k2 said...

HUGS and love sister!!

Kelly said...

HOORAY!!!!!!

Lora said...

I am glad you have some relief for the holidays. Please let us know how accurate those are after you appt.

Thoughts are with you all.

Alexis Nicole said...

awesome!!! Yes i too would like to know how accurate they are. Dh is t2 with no insurance he could stand to recheck!

Meri said...

That is wonderful news!! I can just hear the GIANT sigh of relief you let out! Enjoy the holidays, keep good records and continue to BREEEEATH. :) All is well friend!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Great news!

NikDuck said...

I am so happy to read the good news about her A1C and you can relax a little now over the holidays. Love the keychain as well!

LaLa said...

Sigh of relief!
I'm totally getting one of those!

Anonymous said...

Yes, A1C Now is very accurate and you can rely on those results. The only way to really find out if she is in the early stages of Type 1, is a blood test, for antibodies, as well as A1c. However, your pedi's attitude is unbelieveable, not giving you a recommendation for the pedi endo. Reactive hypoglycemia is serious, if that is his diagnosis. I'm glad you don't have to wait too long for an appointment. Try not to let this worry ruin your holidays. Will pray that neither dx is correct.