Thursday, May 21, 2009

Strep & Possible Fracture

Nope...not Kacey, thank goodness! ME!! I'm the chosen one this time!

I ended up at the doctor yesterday!

I woke up with a minor sore throat, nothing to really get bent out of shape over. I had body aches the day before so I figured I was coming down with another sinus cold. I took Kacey to school and I was scheduled to help with 1st grade testing and I really started to feel crappy. I made myself an appointment at 1:45pm. By 12pm, I was feeling feverish and my throat was worse. I had a chance to take a look at my throat again....WHAT?!?! I now had white sores! Oh God, please don't let it be! So I go to the doc, they do a rapid strep test, the doc comes in and takes one look at my throat and says "Wow...if you were 10 years younger I'd swear this was mono with these symptoms." MONO?!?! So they've sent my culture away to check it but I've got my antibiotic for....strep throat!

Soooo....now I have to back up a bit. Last Friday was my anniversary and when we were walking to the car to take the girls to my Moms, I slipped in the driveway. Those damn rocks and crocs don't mix! I rolled my foot, not my ankle. It immediately started to swell and it was a few hours before I could ice it because we went on to dinner. I just figured I'd twisted it. By the next morning (Scrapbook day), it was really swollen and I sat with my foot propped while I was scrapbooking and kept an ice pack on it most of the day. The swelling went down most of the way but the pain never went away. For the last 5 days, I've hobbled around hoping it would get better and it hasn't. So while I was at the doctor, I told him about it and he took one look at my foot and ordered immediate xrays. Why?!? He did some pressing in different spots and he's almost certain I have either an avulsion fracture or jones fracture of my 5th metatarsal. HOLY CRAP!! So I had the xrays done and I'm waiting for the call today to tell me what they said. I'm hoping and praying I've only messed up the tendons or ligaments down there and it's nothing worse. The pain shoots across the top of my foot and is keeping me awake at night. Last night, between the pain in my throat and the pain in my foot, I was a mess!

Thankfully diabetes isn't rearing it's ugly face and Kacey's numbers aren't too bad. She has another SOL test today so I'm hoping she does just as well on this one as she did on Tuesday.

I'll update as soon as I know something :)

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You poor thing!! When it rains, it pours....at least that is how it is in my house!! Good luck & hope you feel better!

Penny Ratzlaff said...

Ouch! Holden had an avulsion fracture of his ankle a couple of years ago. Keep us posted on the results of your tests.

k2 said...

OUCHIE!!!!
Please feel better soon and keep us posted.
Sending (((HUGS))) and positive vibes your way!!
k2

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Ouch! No fun! I hope you feel better soon. Just an FYI I think a fracture actually would heal quicker than tendon and ligament damage. I tore my ligaments up in Feb during a basketball game and that is what the doc told me, "You would have been better off to break it because it would heal quicker." And I am still having a few issues with my ankle and pain and swelling over 3 months later...so maybe a fracture wouldn't be so bad? Anyway best of luck! Update us when you can!

Cara said...

When it rains, it pours, right? I hope you feel better soon!

Amy said...

Bummer Jill! Sounds like you need some R&R!!! Take care of yourself and feel better soon! So glad Kacey is having good numbers for you right now!

:) Tracie said...

Geeezzzz! I sure hope it feels better and soon!

Every time I've ever injured myself it has been so unmonumental and plain dorky. Definately painful.

Feel better mama!