Saturday, January 29, 2011

Overwhelming Grief

Last night, the DOC (Diabetes Online Community) was hit pretty hard with some very sad news. It feels like a punch in the gut. News that hit me like a ton of bricks.

A 24 year old girl...a 16 year old boy...a 27 mother of 2....an 18 month old baby boy misdiagnosed...and a 9 year old little girl....TAKEN. All five of them lost their lives to Type 1 diabetes. It's scary. It's heart wrenching. It's every mothers worst fear.

This news came to me just after I'd gotten some other sad news. I had already been in prayer before coming to the computer to find my Facebook being bombarded with blue candles. A dear friend of mine texted me to let me know that another friend's daughter had her baby early. He's a small little thing... 5lbs 15oz...and her baby shower is this coming Sunday. Can we freeze her cake? WHY? Well, they're not out of the hospital yet. WHY? I got some pictures of this beautiful baby laying in an incubator under a blue light. I immediately asked if he was jaundice? I wasn't prepared for the next text. Ummm...well actually believe it or not he's having some blood sugar issues. I broke down. Completely lost it! A brand new baby...only 24 hours old...PLEASE say it isn't so! I immediately went into prayer asking God to please spare this infant of this horrible disease. Maybe it's a fluke. Maybe his pancreas will finally kick in. But PLEASE let it be something other than Type 1 diabetes!

So once I finally started reading about all the people that had lost their battle with this horrible disease, I had to get up from here. I had to walk away. My thoughts were a mess. I looked at my baby laying on the couch and I had to go in the other room. I didn't want Kacey to ask me why I was so upset. Frankie came in the kitchen and I was in tears. I told him what I'd read and it hit him pretty hard too.

WE NEED THIS CURE! This just weighs on everyone that is affected daily by this horrible diease. May these families find peace knowing their loved ones are no longer suffering with this disease. May they find comfort in the arms of the Lord in the coming days as they lay them to rest. May the Diabetes Online Community draw closer together and bond stronger than ever as they lift these families up in prayer.

Our  most Faithful God,
Please hear our prayers.
Look on with love as I pray for these families that have lost a daughter, a son, a sister, a brother, a mother. God, may we find some peace in John 11:25-26 ...I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Lord, as we mourn the sudden death of these Type 1 diabetics, show us the immense power of Your goodness and strengthen our belief that he/she has entered into Your Presence. Give us the peace to know they are no longer suffering with such a horrible disease. Please comfort these families in the days ahead. Surround them with others who know You and your greatness. Matthew 5:4 tells us ...Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. God, I just ask once again to hold these families so close. I also pray for peace within the Diabetes Online Community. When something like this happens it shows us the reality of this disease and the fear of knowing that this could happen to any of us. God, I also pray for these families that struggle with this disease on a daily basis. There are mothers struggling with the energy to simply function. There are fathers that are trying to stay strong as head of household and keep peace within his family. There are children and adults that struggle to cope with this disease on a daily basis. There are families in turmoil and I pray You lay Your hand on them. Show them Your presence. Look compassionately on their children, their families, their parents, my children, my husband, my family, my faithful friends and me, as now we turn to Your mercy and love. Strengthen our faith and lighten our loss. I ask this through Your Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.



 

4 comments:

Hallie Addington said...

Amen. ((Hugs)) to you, Jill.

Alexis Nicole said...

Amen. Im sorry about your friends baby. Something I heard newborns sometimes are dxed type 1 and its actually monogenic. Totally different and easier to handle. In time if necessary maybe let your friend know.

Sending you hugs and love!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will comfort you a bit - its pretty common for premature babies to have blood sugar issues for a little while. It's usually related to feeding issues and because they have limited glycogen stores in their liver due to being premature. Hopefully the blood sugar issues resolve soon :)

Unknown said...

Amen.

Beautiful.