Friday, January 30, 2009

VA Air & Space Center

Today I had the chance to go with Kacey and her 3rd grade class to the VA Air & Space Center. I've lived in VA for almost my entire life and I've never been there. I must say I was a bit overwhelmed at first because there is SO much to see. We got there a little after 10am and we had to leave by 1pm so we didn't even get to see 1/4 of the museum and so I am going to have to take time to take the girls back when we can go through the whole place. We did have a chance to watch an IMAX movie (which Kacey loved!) It was about walking on the moon and actually showed first steps on the moon.
Kacey sporting the IMAX 3D movie glasses...and a snack since she was dropping!

Kacey learning how to land the space shuttle...LOL she's laughing because she crashed!
After the movie we went into a room where the kids got a chance to break up into groups and "build" a space community. They had so much fun being creative and it was great to see them so excited about what they had learned. We did battle another low today. When we arrived at the museum at 10am, Kacey was a 165...not bad for having pizza for breakfast (LOL! Yep I thought we'd avoid the low on a fieldtrip with pizza...Didn't work!) By 11am, we were watching the IMAX and Kacey tested at a 112 but said she felt like she was going lower. I quietly pulled out a snack during the movie so we could avoid the low. I knew lunch wasn't going to be til 1pm and by then I knew she'd be low at the rate she was falling. Well, at 12:45pm, Kacey came over to me and asked me when we were eating? I hugged her and told her she had a few more minutes and she said "I don't think I can wait that long cuz I'm really hungry and I feel low again." .... "You had the snack so I'm sure you are fine and we only have 15min and we're leaving and you can eat." ...."But Mommy...." I shot her one of those "You can wait!" glances and we waited quietly for the lady to finish talking. As we walked out to the bus, Kacey looks at me and says "I know I'm low and you'll see!" Her teacher giggled and we got on the bus. She immediately sat down and tested......70!!! She gave me a grumble and said "I TOLD YOU I WAS LOW!" as she proceeded to show her meter around to everyone within arms reach. LOL! OK....so maybe I was wrong...maybe she couldn't wait! Her teacher looked at me and laughed and said "Guess we better feed her when she says shes low." Haha! She ate and finished reading her Goosebumps book on the way back to school. Sometimes I really do think she knows her body :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Leave it to our kids to prove us wrong! :) We've had that happen the last two days where I've treated a low, only finding that I needed to treat again after she tells me she's hungry and I don't believe her!
Sounds like you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun field trip! :) I actually think that it's great that Kacey feels when she's low or going low. We are not there with Tristan yet.

I've also been there where you treat a low, figure that everything is back to normal and then you discover that it's not. How frustrating is that LOL :)