Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cast Day

Today was Cast Day!

Let me start by saying, I absolutely LOVE the Orthopedic doctor's office we went to. They are the ones that I saw for my foot. It's really nice when you find a doctor's office with such a kind and compassionate staff as well as some great doctors! The doctor that we saw today was a young one and he took the time to print out Kacey's xray and explain how her arm was broken in terms she could understand. He explained to her that she'd be in her cast for 6 weeks but in 2 weeks he wants to make sure it's healing the way it is supposed to so we go back for more xrays and then 4 weeks after xrays she will get the cast off. She broke it in a perfect healing place. He said 5 years from now you won't even be able to tell it was ever broke. YAY!
That bump....yep thats where it's broken!
After he unwrapped her arm, he showed her where it was broken. He asked her what her favorite color was? She smiled and said "Pink!" He laughed and told her he could definately accomidate her :) Before he had a chance to cast her, he was called to an emergency at the hospital next door. He came back in and reassured her that she was in good hands and the other doc would take good care of her arm and put the cast on. I thought that was super sweet of him!

The process begins...... PINK....not light pink....not dark pink.....HOT PINK!!
Of course, you couldn't wipe the grin off her face! She was so excited to get a colored cast and she said it was too pretty to write on...LOL! She's doing pretty good with it. She was happy to be able to move her fingers, which are still very swollen. The doc told us to continue the Motrin and keep it elevated for the rest of the day today. So she's resting quietly on the couch and taking it easy today!
Thanks to everyone who's sent her well wishes :) I read them all to her and she's feeling the love from all of you out there!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Cool color!!!!! I agree, it's too pretty to write on! :) LOL

Kelly said...

Well Hooray! My Hannah broke her same arm a few years back, she chose pink too :) I was so glad to hear they didn't have to adjust/re-break Kacey's arm! They did for Hannah....I heard it pop, she SCEAMED bloody murder and I almost fainted! So YES! I am so happy cast day was a success for Kacey! Now what to do without swimming?

Jill said...

Kelly~ Swimming is out for 6wks for her. They couldn't do the waterproof in pink and she was fine with it. I think the highlight was finding out that she could still ride the rides she likes at Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion. We got tickets for KD to take her the day that Kayleigh will leave for Hawaii to try and lighten the mood. She was worried we wouldn't be able to go now and I called the park and they said she could ride everything except a few of the big coasters (which she wouldn't be riding anyway) so she was thrilled. I asked her about the pool and she said she didn't care and we haven't mastered the ability to keep from going low in the water yet so I'm just as thrilled as she is...LOL! Hope they didn't have to rebreak it...thank goodness! She adjusted very quickly to having it on. She still cant pull back her lancet or push the button yet because it still hurts but I'm guessing in the next few days she will be able to :)

Showers/Baths are gonna be tricky! The doc told us to put a bag on it and rubber band around her arm...ugh! Any suggestions for something else to do?

Wendy said...

LOVE IT!!! Pink looks good on her :) Good job, Kacey! It's beautiful.

KD!!!!! We love that place :) Man, I wish we could come with you!!!

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

She looks happy! What a sport! I hope the next 6 weeks go by quickly for you guys!!

:) Tracie said...

Pretty color...didn't know they had such variety!

I always tell my daughter that she's the bravest person I know. Now I know 2 brave kids!

Good luck with the shower thing, sorry I'm no help.

Momto4Peanuts said...

I just got my bright pink cast removed and now have a purple one. I can take this cast on and off for showers, etc...

I hope you she recovers quickly and won't have any more problems with this arm.

Hugs,
Missy