Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dose Change...again!

I got a call back (finally) from Kacey's Endo...or should I say CDE. I hate when I can't talk to the doc or CNP. Anyway, they reviewed the faxed numbers I sent and they are going to increase her Lantus from 10 to 11 and then change the dinner carbs 1:18 and leave breakfast and lunch carbs 1:20. Why dont they just change all the meals. OK... Im really frustrated because yesterday school called me at 3:15pm and said Kacey was a 360 and feeling bad and wanted to go home. I got there and Kacey had the "I feel miserable" look on her face and so when we got home she went right to her bed and ended up sleeping for nearly 2 hours. When she woke up it was dinner time and she tested... 153!!

Numbers yesterday were...


262 @ 7am

271 @ 8am

283@ 1pm

360 @ 3pm

153 @ 5pm

237@ 6pm

145 @ 8pm

then 210@ 7am this morning


Now...why am I frustrated? Cuz the dinner dose isnt the only one that needs to be changed! Shes high in the morning when she wakes up...for the last week she wakes up over 200 every morning and then shes high at all 3 meals! I keep screaming at myself because I want to change the dose myself but I know the doc has his reasons for doing what he's doing. I just hate her staying high all the time because it makes her feel so damn bad! She missed 2 days of school last week because she was in the high 300's and just wanted to stay in bed with a case of the "grumpies". So do I change the other meals 1:18 and see what happens and then tell the doc what I did.... or do I leave her like this and wait for the doc to do it? GRRRRRRR!


Oh yeah...and did I mention I always hated Math and now I see numbers in my freakin dreams!!


~*~Frustrated Mommy~*~

5 comments:

Cara said...

Bless your heart. It's hard to stop the morning highs from happening. It's called dawn phenomenon. Mine are better since I am on the pump, but prior to that, I would wake up in the 200s and 300s almost every day. If I changed my Lantus too much, it caused lows later on in the day.
I hope you get everything worked out. By the way, I am not a fan of numbers either! But the math is EVERYWHERE in diabetes. :P

Jill said...

Cara... is there anything I can do to help this? Should I be testing her in the middle of the night? I'm gonna read up on dawn phenomenon and see what it says. I just beat myself up sometimes because I just keep thinking I should be able to do more to get this under control and I can't do anything! Her lunch number was 243 so not much better than the 210 this morning. Still in the 200's!

Cara said...

I'm not sure what you can do. I know they told me that Lantus is supposed to last 24 hours, but that most of the time it actually doesn't. I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard of people splitting a lantus dose, 1/2 at morning and 1/2 at night.

Anonymous said...

It is all about numbers, adjustments and waiting. Think of it as a medical experiment (that's what it is). You are experimenting with dosages, ratios and food. You can't make adjustments all at once, because then you don't know what works and what doesn't. Some doctors adjust basals then boluses. Others concentrate on a certain time of day. It helps if you are included in on the 'plan of attack'. Its still early and both of you are adjusting - give it time, patience and education - you'll get there and so will she. Each adjustment takes time to test, then you'll move on to the next.

Jill said...

Thanks so much...both of you!! I'm feelin like I really need the support right now...moreso because I just dont understand enough about diabetes yet. Ive read so much in the last few days....hell Ive read ALOT in the last 4 months...but I still feel "lost" some days. Im thankful I can turn here and get some answers!