Friday, April 10, 2009

Site Change Drama

My heart was breaking for Kacey as she cried and begged me to let her go one more day with her "comfy site". I explained that it wasn't safe to let her go longer than 3 days and with every change we are steps closer to every site being a "comfy" one. After more tears, she disconnected and peeled away the "comfy site". She looked at me with a pouty lip as I filled the new cartridge. She then got the idea that she wanted to try doing the Cleo site herself. As shocked as I was, I couldn't tell her no because our goal is to get to the point that she is trying the sites herself. She proudly opened the tubing and connected it to the cartridge. And then the meltdown began! She was teetering on the "I want to do it myself!" and "I need Mommy to do it!". As she held the Cleo against her tummy, she cried so hard and I didn't know what to do for her. When I offered to do it, then she screamed that she wanted to and when I told her to do it then she cried and said she couldn't. Kayleigh was standing by with the camera in hand to capture the moment she did her first site by herself. This went on for about 5 minutes (seemed longer) and I just had to tell her "I'll do it!" and as she screamed louder, I pushed the Cleo against her tummy. Once it clicked, she immediately went silent. Staring at me with tears running down her face, she said "That didn't hurt!" LOL...ugh! The rough part was when I tried to pull the Cleo away, the sticky wasn't sticking to the "new territory" ....yep thats right.....MORE new territory! She decided to try the front of her tummy (a fist away from her belly button). She never even did injections there so this was a big deal. So we decided to use one of the IV tape stickys and put it over the whole thing. I don't know how long this will last but at least the tears have stopped and even if it lasts a day then we can try again later. I won't post the heartbreaking pics that Kayleigh took since Kacey had tears streaming down her face. I'll wait and post the pics when she's doing the site on her own with a smile :) We're close though! We're very close! Ultimately...I made it all better with ice cream sundaes and we're all smiling.

2 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Poor thing...glad she is trying new territory again! What a brave girl...and mom. :-)

Wendy said...

Beautiful site, my dear! Kacey has really stepped up to this big old D MONSTER -- site changes will come...in time. Until then, all you can do is hold her tight.

Addy's been at this for almost 4 years now and still won't check her own sugar (most of the time, anyway)...then again, she WAS only 24 months at dx...