Tuesday, September 29, 2009

15 Years Ago....

On this day, 15 years ago, I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl!

On 9-22-94, I went out of work on complete bedrest. My official diagnosis....toxemia. I still had 5 weeks to go and my OB doctor said "The baby just isn't ready yet, so we're putting you on complete bedrest until it's time." For a whole week, I layed on the couch and did nothing! I gained 13 pounds in water weight that week and I was one very scared 19 year old.

On 9-29-94, I woke up around 8am. I was still living at home and my Mom had gone to work. As I got out of bed, I realized I'd wet the bed (so I thought). I was upset because I'd never felt myself pee and I figured the baby must have pushed on my bladder. I went into the bathroom to clean up when I felt another rush of pee down my legs.....or was it? It was clear. It was warm. But this time it had a little blood in it. I started to cry and I called my Mom at work. She told me to call the doctor and she was on her way. Meanwhile, I called my doctor and put on a pad to keep myself from peeing all over my clothes. (hahaha...yep I still thought it was pee) The nurse told me to come on in because she thought my water broke. HUH?!? So I hung up, packed my hospital suitcase because I wasn't ready yet and then waited for my Mom. Within 30 minutes, she was home and out the door we went. I'd started to have some pain but it wasn't too bad. By the time we got back over to the OB, I was having some pretty bad pains. The nurse took my pad and tested the "fluid". My OB doctor walked back in and he clapped his hands together and smiled as he said, "We're gonna have a baby today!" I started to cry. NOOOOOO! I wasn't ready! I still have 4 weeks! I was leaning against the bed with my hands and rocking back and forth. The pain was all in my lower back and it was starting to make me sick. Thankfully the hospital was right across the street. We got into registration and they put me in a wheelchair. How do I breathe through the contractions? I'd only made it to my first lamaze class last week. It's too early! A million things were swirling through my head! I got registered in and they took me on to the elevator. I shouted out, "I think I'm gonna get sick!" and my Mom kept saying, "Use your shirt! Don't throw up in the elevator!" I managed to hold it back til I got into my room. Thank goodness they had a trashcan at the doorway. Ugh! I have NO pain tolerance! My Mom paged Kayleigh's bio-dad and then called my brother. Both of them rushed to the hospital. By now, it's nearly 10am. I'm REALLY feeling the pain and the nurse finally convinced me to get the epidural since I was only 4cm dialated. Don't let anyone ever tell you that getting the epidural doesn't hurt! It burned and I was so scared....BUT....I only had 2 more bad contractions and I was resting in "La-La Land" :) The nurse kept coming in to check me and by 2pm it was time to push! My doc came in and he was laughing and joking as usual. At 2:30pm, I was holding a beautiful baby girl, Kayleigh Breanne! She was perfect.... and at 4 weeks early....she weighed 6lbs. 12oz. and was 18.5 in long. She was so tiny and everything we bought was too big. I was released from the hospital 24 hours later and Kayleigh made her 1st trip to Walmart...haha! I had to buy her preemie sleepers.

Now, 15 years later, she still makes me the happiest Momma in the world! I'm so proud of her and what she's becoming.

So today... HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAYLEIGH BREANNE!!! Mommy loves you!!

3 comments:

Meri said...

Time flys!

The first is so hard! But the problem I ran into was, when I had my forth baby, the nurses thought I was a pro and that I didn't need any help after the baby came!

They scoffed at me when I asked for help getting to the bathroom.

HELLO! Birthing a baby in 5 pushes makes your legs jello...sorry if I need help walking to the bathroom!

Congrats on the big day! Enjoy the journey!

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing Jill! Birth stories always make me teary eyed- I'm such a sap. :-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAYLEIGH!

Wendy said...

I LOVE birth stories :)

I'm so happy she was healthy!!!!

I went into labor at 36 weeks with Addy and she was 6 lbs 14 oz, 18 inches...they could have been twins!